Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Lip Service

I am not one to carry much in my purse. You can usually find books, pencils, and a water bottle. Whether it is the purse I am carrying or one of the many setting in the top of my closet,  there is one thing you can be certain to find: oodles of lip products. Lip gloss, lipstick, chapstick! I am so hopelessly addicted to my chapstick that I even bring it to the gym. Obviously, my lips are spoiled with attention, and there can never be too much attention. 
            With spring in the air, it’s time to treat your lips with that eye-catching orange shade seen everywhere in SS11 shows, including some of favorites, Marni and Marc Jacobs (more of a red-orange, but still!). Upon jumping on the orange bandwagon myself, I noticed that I have not spoiled my lips enough! In order to make these shades work and last on your lips, you need the perfect canvas. Like your body, hands, and face, lips need to be exfoliated ,also. Because I am too impatient to make the trek to Sephora, I’ll manage with what I have at home. Here are some quick fixes for more beautiful and smooth lips so they too can be trend worthy!

-         A simple, soft scrub with a toothbrush over slightly wet lips can do just the trick.
-          Because it’s near your mouth, why not treat yourself to something sweet?
Just add a teeny tiny bit of olive oil, a spoon of honey, half of spoon of sugar, and mix together. Lightly scrub onto lips, rinse, and viola! 

Now the only thing left to do is choose your weapon. You can never go wrong with Mac lipstick (Loudmouth Orange, $14.50)  

Or if you a want to inch your way into this “look-at-me” trend, try a lipgloss. Covergirl’s Fruit Spritzer in tangerine is simple enough for me to wear to class but still gives my lips a subtle orange glow.

I’ll be wearing my orange lipstick atop smooth lips this Friday for my sister’s birthday!

With never too much love,
Aubrey

5 comments:

  1. Ok. So I'm going to exfoliate my lips right now. Thanks for mentioning my birthday, too! I'm wearing a little black dress this Friday with red and black peep-toe pumps. I'm too afraid to do a red lip, so should I just leave it light and do a smokey eye?????? You can be my fashion guru now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should just stick to the smokey eye. Red lips and red shoes would be too much. Thanks for the comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the clever advice! Now I can make exfoliating a part of my brushing routine.
    Do you have any suggestions of what color clothing to wear with that trendy orange shade of lipstick? This is always a difficult choice for me...would love some ideas of what combinations to put together.
    Can't wait to follow the blog for your helpful fashion expertise!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIRANDA! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need a picture of this orange in action in order to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin, I tend to stick with solid colors when I try this daring look. Try to stay away from patterns. For you and Anthem to see this at work, check out the SS11 runway shows of designers like Marc Jacobs or Jill Stuart.

    ReplyDelete